Local News

Car Running in Garage Kills Man

Posted March 22, 2007

Map Marker  Find News Near Me

— An 81-year-old man died Thursday after an apparently accidental case of carbon monoxide poisoning, police said.

Edward Bartlett, of 185 Lumina Place, was found dead inside his home. Police said he apparently pulled his car into his attached garage and left the engine running overnight.

Three people in an adjacent townhome were transported to WakeMed Cary with symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning, Holly Springs Fire Chief Cecil Parker said. Their conditions didn't appear life-threatening, he said.

The car had run out of gas by the time police got to the house, officials said.


This story is closed for comments.

Oldest First
View all
  • jamar32806 Mar 22, 2007

    My prayers go out to the family. May God bless you in your time of bereavement.

  • moller Mar 22, 2007

    Ed Bartlett was my father-in-law. Contrary to some of the comments posted here, he wasn't an "old fogey." He was healthy--just last week he trimmed the hedge in front of my house that I hadn't had time to fiddle with. He was an avid reader, particularly of history--at dinner the evening before he died, he and I had a good chat about Durant's comments concerning 10th-century France. He loved music, particularly opera.

    But he was a bit hard-of-hearing. We'll never know, I guess, but I suspect what happened was that he got distracted unloading something from his car and couldn't hear that the engine was still running. He went upstairs and went to bed--he was found in his pajamas.

  • aperalta001 Mar 22, 2007

    He probably should have had someone living with him and taking care of him if he was that bad off. And to not know you left the car running... he probably should not have been allowed to drive at all. My deepest regards to his family.

  • JustDontUnderstandPpl Mar 22, 2007

    Some young fogeys have sat in a running car and died of carbon monoxide poisoning too.

  • Peter the Pony Mar 22, 2007

    Just another reason why old fogeys should not be driving!!

  • BIG YAWN Mar 22, 2007

    I'm sorry to hear this. I can't help but think because of his age he may not have realized the car was still running. He might of had a loss of hearing being 81 years old.

  • mrduffin Mar 22, 2007

    The door from an attached garage to the living space is supposed to be sealed when closed. Did he prop the door open?

  • bkallen04 Mar 22, 2007

    tnt4kps, the article never said he left the car in park. so sad.

  • Windmill Tilter Mar 22, 2007

    Everyone should have a carbon monoxide detector just as they should have smoke alarms.

  • Pelias Mar 22, 2007

    At least he didn't kill his neighbors in the process.