Local News

Man Killed in Fire at Raleigh Triplex

Posted March 15, 2007

Map Marker  Find News Near Me

— One man was killed Thursday morning in a fire at a triplex in southeast Raleigh that was reported by a police officer.

Michael Jameson Gunter, 29, of 1113 Upchurch St., was pulled from the fire in his three-unit building and was taken to WakeMed, where he was pronounced dead, police said.

The fire broke out sometime before 4 a.m. at the Upchurch Street residence. Raleigh Police Sgt. M.A. McKee was on duty in the area when he smelled smoke and began knocking on doors to alert residents, police said.

Ten people were evacuated from the building.

When firefighters forced their way into one of the units, they found Gunter, and emergency personnel tried to resuscitate him, authorities said.

Investigators said they believe the fire started in a kitchen area where Gunter was found.

20 Comments

Please with your WRAL.com account to comment on this story. You also will need a Facebook account to comment.

Oldest First
View all
  • BIG YAWN Mar 15, 2007

    Being a cop is like so many other jobs. You can perform it flawlessly for years then one mistake and that's all you get on the news. Thank you Sgt. McKee and all city/county and state police.

  • jeneric43 Mar 15, 2007

    Thanks to all who Protect and Serve, in this case Sgt McKee!! God Bless you each day you are out there putting your lives on the line for each of us.

  • houdie1031 Mar 15, 2007

    Thanks to Sgt McKee for saving lives and being there for all of us. Thanks to him and the other officers who put up with the complaining, the drunks, and all the public B-S; and still save our lives when the time comes. You're the best.

  • jeneric43 Mar 15, 2007

    Who is "you" rpd911?

  • rpd911 Mar 15, 2007

    "Fire is still under investigation at this point, but I don't know of too many people with beds in their kitchens. Grease fire or electrical COULD be other causes."

    Guess you haven't been in many homes in SE Raleigh.

  • jeneric43 Mar 15, 2007

    mr911, exactly. My grandparents died of smoke inhalation as they were climbing out the window trying to escape. Cause was electrical fire.

  • SRHS BULLDOG Future Cop Mar 15, 2007

    Well that's why the police are here to Protect and Serve

    So you can't get mad at the police officer because the man died

    All we can do is support the police in all their endeavers

  • tdwilliams77 Mar 15, 2007

    I knew Mike. He has young children. My prayers go out to him and his family.

  • BIG YAWN Mar 15, 2007

    Nursevb8- The original post didn't mention of a death. It simply said a police officer insured the evacuation of the triplex. The post has since updated to include the tragic death.

  • diwanicki Mar 15, 2007

    my prayers go out to his family. Thank you to the officer for alerting people.

More...