Meredith Fire Forces Early Morning Evacuation
Posted February 3, 1998
RALEIGH — About 400 students at Meredith college were forced out of their beds Wednesday morning and into the rain after an early morning fire.
The blaze broke out in the boiler room behind the dining hall at 4 a.m. Campus police say four dorms were evacuated for fear smoke would seep into the rooms. Fire investigators say the fire was accidental, caused by a space heater that was placed too close to some combustible material.
Hazardous materials crews also worked on a diesel fuel leak near the building where the fire started. No one was hurt in the blaze. All the students were allowed back into their rooms a short time later.