Local News

Lit Cigarette Probably To Blame For Fatal Henderson House Fire

Posted November 28, 2005

— Authorities believe an early Monday-morning fire in Vance County that killed one person was caused by a smoldering cigarette, but said the exact cause could not be determined.

At about 12:45 a.m., the Henderson Police Department was called to a house at

1415 Peace Street

where they found flames, that at one point reached 30 feet into the air above the chimney, rising through the roof.

One person inside the house, 43-year-old Mary Wynne, died. The owner, Terry Glenn Boyd was not home at the time.

The fire caused massive damage to the one-story brick house. Inside, ceramic tile melted in one of the bathrooms from the intense heat.

Initial reports indicated that Wynne fell asleep while smoking a cigarette on a sofa, but because of the destruction to the house, Henderson Police Chief Glen B. Allen said the fire's cause could not be determined with absolute certainty.

Comments

Please with your WRAL.com account to comment on this story. You also will need a Facebook account to comment.

Oldest First
View all