Local News

Medical Center Evacuated After Reported Smells Of Sulfur

Posted November 23, 2005

— Nearly 200 employees and patients at a Raleigh medical building were evacuated Wednesday morning after the smell of sulfur was reported inside the building.

  • Video:

  • Authorities said a plumbing company used a professional drain cleaner containing sulfuric acid at Wake Internal Medicine at

    3100 Blue Ridge Road

    . A crack in one of the drains allowed the odor to seep into the building's ventilation system.

    The building, which also holds offices for Capitol Ear, Nose, Throat & Hearing Aid Services and Wake Research Associates, was evacuated at about 10 a.m. and emergency crews opened windows, doors and roof vents to get fresh air into the facility.

    Two patients who were in the middle of medical procedures were taken to Rex Hospital to finish the procedure, but there were no reports of anyone being taken to the hospital because of the odor.

    Employees were allowed back in the building at about 11:30 a.m.

    Medical practices in the building were calling patients who may have missed appointments during the 1½-hour evacuation to reschedule. Patients with an appointment later in the day Thursday were urged to call ahead to see if their appointment was affected by the evacuation.

    Comments

    Please with your WRAL.com account to comment on this story. You also will need a Facebook account to comment.

    Oldest First
    View all