Local News

Ivy League School Recruiting Duke Lacrosse Defendant

Posted February 21, 2007
Updated February 22, 2007

Map Marker  Find News Near Me
— Duke lacrosse defendant Reade Seligmann could be headed to play in the Ivy League.

Brown University Sports Information Director Chris Humm confirmed Wednesday that the school is trying to recruit the 6-foot-1 midfielder for its men's lacrosse team.

He said he was barred by NCAA regulations from commenting further.

Seligmann, 20, of Essex Fells, N.J., was suspended last spring from Duke after he was indicted on charges of kidnapping, rape and sexual assault stemming from an off-campus lacrosse team party.

Seligmann graduated from the Delbarton School, a Roman Catholic school in Morristown, N.J. He won three state lacrosse titles while he attended the school but saw limited playing time after arriving at Duke. There, he played only in six games and scored one goal before Duke President Richard Brodhead canceled the season in April.

In January, Duke invited Seligmann and Collin Finnerty, 20, a second player charged in the case, to return as students in good standing. Each would be eligible to return to the lacrosse team if he decided to return.

The move came after Durham County District Attorney Mike Nifong dropped the rape charge against Seligmann, Finnerty and David, because the accuser wavered in key details about the case.

Evans, 23, graduated from the university in May.

James Cooney III, an attorney for Seligmann, said in January that his client was considering his options but at the moment, was focused on the case, in which an exotic dancer initially told police she was gang-raped, sodomized and beaten in a bathroom of a house where she had gone to perform.

Those allegations prompted a frenzy of media attention on Duke and the city of Durham, and the case has put attention on questions of race, class and the privileged status of college athletes.

Lurid details about the investigation prompted Brodhead to first suspend the highly ranked team -- it had appeared in the NCAA championship game in 2005 -- and then cancel the season. Longtime coach Mike Pressler resigned amid growing criticism of the program and the players' behavior, which included alcohol-related criminal charges.

After an internal investigation, the school reinstated the program in June. The following month, Duke hired John Danowski from Hofstra to coach the Blue Devils.

The team returns to the lacrosse field on Saturday for its first match since then. University officials expect a large turnout and a heavy media presence for the game against Dartmouth.

Extra campus and city police officers will patrol the season opener.
17 Comments

Please with your WRAL.com account to comment on this story. You also will need a Facebook account to comment.

Oldest First
View all
  • jonesextra Feb 22, 2007

    I to am happy for the young man. However, if all this had not happened, he still would have had an ivy league education. Duke is considered an ivy leage school.

  • 0 Tolerance aka Ms.Turner Feb 22, 2007

    I am happy for this young man and his new opprotunities. I hope that he moves on to great things. I MUST ADD THAT I hope that this has been a life learning experience for him and a lot of other people. We as people have to take full responsibility for our actions and only thoise involved will ever trully know what happened. He can either let this case break him or pick up the pieces and move on.

  • OLD PIRATE Feb 22, 2007

    If we constantly see murders, rapist, and child mol. let off with minor technicalities, how could these guys ever be convicted of anything...? Our Attorney Gen. is trying hard to keep the radical left happy. This case is political fear at its worst.

  • hollywood Feb 22, 2007

    I agree with my2cents however I don't know any students that did not drink when I was in school. That is college life. If you ask me the Duke players are the victims. They were charged with a crime for political reasons and the DA withheld DNA evidence that proves their innocence and a photo lineup that only showed lacrosse players. I cant wait until they write a book and make millions. I'll buy 20 for xmas gifts!

  • just my2cents Feb 22, 2007

    tumblingcolors, you may never see this since you claim to be boycotting WRAL, but the things he is guilty of are not those that get you national attention and your life turned upside down. These boys will always be haunted by the rape case, guilty or not-and obviously they are not. I do not condone his behavior with the drinking etc, but that's not national newsworthy material. That's for parents to handle.

  • methinks Feb 22, 2007

    I hope he goes, plays lacrosse with this team and he scores the winning goal against Duke everytime.

  • tumblingcolors Feb 22, 2007

    do not be concerned that i will post again on your web-site. i have removed it from all computers in my home and office. (you are welcome to pass that along to your many advertisers). i do not want to upset the balance in your version of 'Pleasantville'

    by the way...he was underage, drinking, and soliciting along with his partners and team-mates. my original statement holds

    ADIOS

  • mywayofthinking Feb 22, 2007

    Shakennotstirred.....I agree about still having the trial to go through. Butttt.....if this had been the rape case his face would have been plastered all over the breaking news section. I think this deserves a little but of "good" talk because there has been so much "bad" talk.

  • Killian Feb 21, 2007

    I hope he does go. He can get a fresh start away from that place. Good for you, Reade. Blessed Be.

  • shakennotstirred Feb 21, 2007

    ya'll are putting the cart before the horse, he is still to be tried for kidnapping and sexual assault, if given a fair trial and he's found guilty beyond a reasonable doubt, I wouldn't be praising him so much...only him and a few others know what really happened and I'm fairly sure they weren't singing hymns...when you hang around trash, you should only expect bad results...

More...