Hearing For Former Murder Suspect Delayed
Posted September 21, 2005
RALEIGH, N.C. — A hearing for a former murder suspect has been postponed until Friday. During a murder investigation, police charged Andrew Dalzell with fraud and exploitation of a minor. His attorney claims the investigation was improperly handled and now those charges might not stick.
Dalzell is charged with using a stolen credit card to hire a mail-order Russian bride. He is also accused of possessing child pornography.
However, Dalzell's attorney said the evidence against was illegally obtained. She said Carrboro police did not have probable cause when they took out a search warrant and seized items in his home.
Earlier this year, a judge ruled the same officers violated Dalzell's rights when they arrested him for murder.
"They committed the violations believing the ends justified the means," said Superior Court Judge Wade Barber in January 2005.
Police said Dalzell admitted killing Deborah Key and dumping her body in Wilmington. They admitted using fake documents to scare Dalzell into that confession. The judge threw out the confession and Dalzell walked away from a murder charge.
Key's body has never been found, but police say the case remains open. As for the current case against Dalzell, a judge will decide if the search warrants used here were also illegal.