Local News

House Fire Claims Life Of Fayetteville Woman

Posted March 11, 2005

— A woman and her two cats died in a house fire in Fayetteville early Friday morning, fire officials said.

Margaret King, 76, who lived alone at a house on Wellington Road, died in the fire, which happened at about 3:30 a.m., officials said.

King's house was heavily damaged in the blaze. Family members said King loved bowling and had lived in the house for more than 30 years. On Friday, they struggled with the news of King's death.

"It's something that you would think is a dream or a story you are reading or watching on TV and you would be able to put the book down or change the channel," said Eckel King, Jr., Margaret's son.

Authorities said that King died from smoke inhalation. Her two cats were not able to make it out of the house and also died.

King's son lowered the flag in her yard to half-staff in her memory. He calls her "a scrappy mountain girl from Asheville."

According to King's family, investigators believe the fire was electrical. Authorities do not suspect foul play.


Please with your WRAL.com account to comment on this story. You also will need a Facebook account to comment.

Oldest First
View all