Goldsboro, N.C. — The mother of a missing Goldsboro teenager is pleading for the return of her son, who police say was kidnapped more than a week ago.
"I need my baby home. It's been eight days, and I just need him back home," Kimberly Best told reporters at a police news conference Monday afternoon. "Getting up in the morning is hard. Going to bed at night is hard. I don't know where he is."
Goldsboro police say they believe Kennedy Fitzgerald McLaurin Jr., 16, was abducted Sept. 9 from the 700 block of Bain Street in the Woodcrest Housing Community and forced into a car by three or four black males.
An Amber Alert was issued last week for the teen who was seen in a 1990s blue-gray, four-door Oldsmobile with faded paint.
Goldsboro Police Sgt. Dwayne Dean said Monday that the case is still classified as a missing persons case.
"Kennedy McLaurin is still in fact missing. The statewide Amber Alert is still currently in effect," Dean said. "Investigators continue to follow up on tips that have to come in and have passed out fliers in the Bain Street area in an attempt to gather more information concerning this case."
Best reported her son missing last Monday after becoming concerned when he didn't come home Sunday night. After hearing rumors that he had been abducted, she called police.
McLaurin stands about 5 feet 9 inches tall and weighs about 135 pounds. He has black hair, brown eyes, pierced ears and a tattoo of the initial K on his left hand.
Anyone with information about McLaurin's disappearance can call a 24-hour tip line at 919-580-4243.
They can also call 911, the North Carolina State Highway Patrol at *HP, the Goldsboro Police Department at 919-705-6572 or Crime Stoppers at 919-735-2255.