Local News

Miller Kontz To Be Transferred To Women's Prison In Raleigh

Posted February 15, 2005

— A judge denied a request Tuesday Ann Miller Kontz's attorneys to reduce her $3 million bond, but she will get a new place to prepare for her upcoming trial.

Miller Kontz is charged with murder in the poisoning death of her husband, Eric Miller. Her attorneys argued that she cannot pay her bond and she should not have to. Legal observers have said Miller's bond is the highest in Wake County history.

However, the judge agreed to her attorney's request that Miller Kontz be moved to Women's Prison in Raleigh. Unlike the Wake County Jail, her attorneys will be able to make appointments to see their client. They will have a proper meeting room and a place for her to keep documents they want her to read. She will also have better visitation with her child and the ability to go outside.

Kontz was not present for Tuesday's hearing, but her parents and husband were in the courtoom. Eric Miller's parents were absent, but the prosecutor said they remain committed to following the case.

"They're preparing themselves. They're preparing themselves for a long road," assistant district attorney Becky Holt said. "It's been a long road so far, and we've got a long way to go."

The paperwork still needs to be signed, but attorneys said the transfer to Women's Prison will probably happen by the end of the week. Miller Kontz's trial is scheduled for January 2006.


Please with your WRAL.com account to comment on this story. You also will need a Facebook account to comment.

Oldest First
View all