Local News

Smoke Causes Evacuation At Raleigh School

Posted January 24, 2005

— Durant Road Elementary School was evacuated Monday morning around 8 a.m. after an electrical problem in the school's heating system caused smoke in the school, officials said.

Officials said the heat pump motor in the heating system stopped working and caught fire. There was little damage from the fire, which caused mainly smoke damage.

Raleigh Fire Department officials did not know why the motor stopped working, but said that it did not appear to be suspicious.

Students and staff were outside the school for a short time on Monday morning.

Comments

Please with your WRAL.com account to comment on this story. You also will need a Facebook account to comment.

Oldest First
View all