Local News

Fatal Rocky Mount Fire Not Considered Suspicious

Posted December 14, 2004

— A house fire in Rocky Mount killed a man Monday morning.

Authorities say 75-year-old Gordon Morgan lived alone in a home on Bethlehem Road in Rocky Mount. They said the fire was confined to the bedroom where firefighters found the bodies of Morgan and his pet dog.

"We did experience heavy smoke inside the dwelling, so we have no idea how long the incident may have been ongoing prior to the call," said division Chief Eddie Jones, of the Rocky Mount Fire Department. "We do not have any indication that it was a candle or a cigarette. Our understanding is he is a nonsmoker."

Officials said Morgan died of natural causes and the fire was accidental.

Comments

This story is closed for comments. Comments on WRAL.com news stories are accepted and moderated between the hours of 8 a.m. and 8 p.m. Monday through Friday.

Oldest First
View all