GRANVILLE COUNTY, N.C. — It could take 10 years to clean up an old World War II bombing range in Granville County.
Earlier this year, experts began removing unexploded shells in what was known as Camp Butner.
A newly formed citizens task force found out Tuesday it will take $10 million to clean up the remaining artillery. Right now, the group is only receiving $1 million a year.
"I don't want to wake up one morning and hear that a child has been killed playing with a explosive ordinance," homeowner Amy Blalock said.
"I do understand the concerns. We need to inform those new people moving in that there is a possible danger," property owner Mike Arrington said.
Blalock and Arrington are working to develop a campaign to educate new residents about the old Camp Butner site.