RALEIGH, N.C. — The plan for Wake County to use modular school buildings took another move forward Tuesday night.
At a meeting, school board members approved using $34.4 million to pay for 146 mobile units, three modular elementary schools and a modular addition for a high school.
"This is a way to deal with the kids we know are going to be knocking on our doors next year until we can come up with a long-term plan at a faster pace to meet the demands," said Susan Parry, school board chair.
Ten thousand more students have moved into Wake County Schools in the last two years.
The school board scrapped a controversial suggestion of year-round classes for some schools and moved toward the modular solution instead.
The money for the move would come from PLAN 2004, the bond issue that passed last year. That could mean delaying new construction from that plan.
But before any moves are made, the county commissioners have to approve it.
"The voters have approved a billion dollars to build new schools to have new permanent seats," said Joe Bryan, Wake County Commission vice chair. "The public expects permanent seats for their children."