Fort Bragg Soldiers Receive Latest Deployment Orders
Posted September 13, 2004
FORT BRAGG, N.C. — Thousands of soldiers at Fort Bragg just got their marching orders. They will be deployed to Afghanistan as part of the war on terror.
The 82nd Airborne's 1st Brigade spent most of last year in Afghanistan and the beginning of this year in Iraq. Now, the Devils plan to deploy again. Some soldiers are deploying for the first time.
"I wasn't too surprised, but I was like, 'Ok, now it's real,'" said Pfc. Leticia Ortiz. "It hit me, like we were really going now."
Other soldiers said they are returning to a place where they lost friends and almost lost their own lives.
"I decided to do it again, and if I have to do it again, I'll do it again," Spc. George Perez said.
Officers expect anywhere from 2,500 to 5,000 soldiers to leave in the spring for at least one year.