RALEIGH, N.C. — A Cary reservist and the military appeared in court Wednesday over his refusal to report for duty.
The Army called Todd Parrish to active duty, ordering him to report to Fort Sill, Okla. Parrish refused, saying he already served his time. Parrish said he signed on for eight years -- four on active duty, four on reserve.
"His service is for eight years. That's his mandatory service, and he has an option to either continue services, that's the status quo, or resigning," said Army lawyer Maj. Chris Soucie.
The Army said he never officially resigned from the reserves. They said he is still a soldier with an obligation to the military.
"The part that bothers me the most is I didn't know my wife when I made the commitment originally, but yet my wife and I made the decision based on my commitment being complete," Parrish said.
"We thought he was free. We didn't think we had to plan around a possible deployment," said Colette Doyle, Parrish's wife.
Last week, a judge sided with Parrish and issued a temporary injunction against the Army until she hears more details about the case.
Both sides gave their arguments in court Wednesday. The judge has not set a timetable for her ruling.