DURHAM, N.C. — Fire has destroyed a movie landmark in Durham.
Around 2 p.m. Sunday, the Starlite Drive-In burned down. Officials said a lawn mower may have been running hot and ignited something, causing the fire.
The owner, Bob Groves, has vowed to rebuild.
"The theater had been in my blood ever since I was 12 years old," Groves said. "I love showing movies to people for entertainment."
Just when the rebuilding happens depends on how quickly Groves can come up with some cash. The theater was not insured.
Groves, who has owned the theater for 18 years, said the fire caused $100,000 in damage. He hopes to reopen in 30 days, but he realizes it may take longer to rebuild.
The Starlite was one of only seven drive-in theaters still operating in North Carolina.