Raleigh, N.C. — The North Carolina Attorney General's Office said Monday that 106 people in North Carolina died as a result of domestic violence last year – one less than in 2010.
Of those in 2011, 68 of the victims were female and 38 were male, while 81 of the alleged offenders were male and 25 were female, according to the numbers.
Although Attorney General Roy Cooper said a drop in numbers is always positive, more needs to be done prevent such crimes.
"Domestic violence is a dangerous crime that too often turns deadly," he said in a statement. "North Carolina must do more to get help to domestic violence victims before they become murder victims."
According to 2011 statistics, 13 of the victims had taken out protective orders against their alleged killers. Of those, six were in effect at the time of the crimes.
One suspect had been on pre-trial release for another domestic violence crime at the time.
Cooper said that, in addition to protective orders, a way the state could help protect victims of domestic violence is to require supervised probation for offenders.
Another way, he said, is the Address Confidentiality Program, which shields the addresses of victims of domestic violence and sexual assault from abusers.
About 850 people are currently enrolled in the program.
Cooper said the state Child Fatality Task Force and North Carolina Coalition Against Domestic Violence are also providing more training for those who handle domestic violence cases and prevention training for educators in schools.