HOPE MILLS, N.C. — Two dozen residents of the Happy Valley Retirement Center are displaced following a fire early Wednesday.
Investigators believe the fire started just after midnight on a back porch. They say a cigarette was likely to blame.
Flames destroyed part of the back of the building, but firefighters were able to stop it from spreading into the living room area.
Twenty-six residents had to be moved to another facility. No injuries were reported.
"The staff did an excellent job to get the residents out with no injuries with the heavy fire load that was going when the fire department arrived," said Kenneth Currie, deputy director of emergency services.
Officials say residents could be back at the facility by the weekend.
Some of the Happy Valley residents were moved to the facility following a fire at the Kozy Kottage Rest Home on May 27. An electrical short was blamed for that fire.