CLAYTON, N.C. — Investigators say a fire at the Diversi-care Assisted Living Facility of Clayton, was started by someone smoking in bed.
Residents were evacuated when a fire broke out in one of the rooms around 11:30 p.m. Tuesday. The minor fire filled an entire wing of the building with smoke.
Forty-three residents spent part of the night outside while crews put out the fire. Many received medical attention, but no one was seriously hurt.
"You have to contain the people so they're not wandering off, so you can keep them accounted for. So it's a major task," said Lee Barbee of the Clayton Fire Department.
Eight residents have been relocated to another wing of the facility.
Officials said it will take approximately two weeks to repair the damaged rooms. No charges will be filed.