WILMINGTON, N.C. — Officials are taking action after two high-profile incidents involving students at the University of North Carolina at Wilmington.
In both incidents, Peck and Dixon had prior criminal records that the university claims it did not know about.
"There are people here that are not stable, that are killing people. That is something very horrible. I think it is the university's responsibility to make sure this is a safe place for everyone," student Faith McPherson said.
"This has been a sad and trying time for the university," said UNCW Chancellor Rosemary DePaolo.
The university is starting a task force which will look at everything from stalking on campus to the feasibility of criminal background checks for applicants.
While many people would like to see more background checks, some argue they are not cost-efficient, are an invasion of privacy and are no guarantee against violence.
"It's terribly sad that we have had four students now in the last month who have been affected by this, but who is to say it is the university's fault or anybody else's fault except for the people who were involved in it?" student Lisa Davis said.
Peck would have been scheduled to appear in court Wednesday on charges that he harassed Naujoks.