Granville County cock-fighting ring busted
Posted May 7, 2012
Oxford, N.C. — Granville County sheriff's deputies busted a cock-fighting ring Sunday morning by following a suspicious vehicle to a farm after a traffic stop. Eleven men were arrested, though sheriff's officials said they believe there were at least 20 people at the farm when they arrived.
After pulling over a Ford Explorer on Interstate 85 North for a traffic violation, sheriff's deputies noticed that the two occupants were transporting 10 fighting roosters, according to a sheriff's department news release. The deputies searched the vehicle and released the suspects after issuing them a warning. Deputies then followed the vehicle to a farm south of Oxford off N.C. Highway 96.
When deputies entered the farm, multiple people ran into the woods. A search was organized, but deputies said they do not think they caught several of the people.
In addition to 63 roosters, officers located nine vehicles on the property that contained paraphernalia, such as fighting blades and head gear. There was also a large fighting ring in the center of the farm with a score sheet posted next to it on a tree.
Police also obtained $23,000 in cash and one handgun from the site, according to the news release.
Granville County Sheriff Brindell Wilkins Jr. said the amount of money seized shows the size of the operation and the significance of the find.
"This is a significant cock-fighting bust that could potentially lead to several things, several other places, people, all across the state," Wilkins said.
Police found 14 people at the farm, and so far, 11 men have been arrested and charged with cock fighting. Five men who fled the scene were also charged with resisting, delaying and obstructing an officer.
- Jose Quadalupe Carbajal, 41, of 404 David Road in Wendell: cock fighting and resisting, delaying and obstructing an officer
- Jose Acosta-Cantu, 34, of 1212 Evening Song Circle in Raleigh: cock fighting
- David Callejas Arroyo, 31, of 2051 Boyett Drive in Four Oaks: cock fighting and resisting, delaying and obstructing an officer
- Bolivar Sierra-Marin, 63, address unknown: cock fighting and resisting, delaying and obstructing an officer
- Tony Anthony Neal, 29, of 142 Daisy Lane in Henderson: cock fighting and resisting, delaying and obstructing an officer
- Horacio Espinosa Maya, 31, of 11 Wheatfield Lane in Clayton: cock fighting
- Rafael Anguiano-Jacobo, 41, of 462 Will Road in Middlesex: cock fighting
- Baltazar Sanchez-Acosta, 22, of 307 Fairview Ave. SW in Wilson: cock fighting
- Rosario Aranda, 42, of 1015 Pomehoy St. in Graham: cock fighting
- Rufino Aguilar, 46, of 163 Knollwood St. in Broadway: cock fighting
- Emiliano Gonzalez Vargas, 39, of Raleigh Road #9 in Henderson: cock fighting and resisting, delaying and obstructing an officer
Seven of the suspects are being held under a federal detainer issued by Immigration and Customs Enforcement.
The Humane Society of the Piedmont in Greensboro was holding the roosters. Unless they are claimed in several days they will have to be put down.