Cary investigating red light cameras after drivers wrongfully fined
Posted April 11, 2012
Resident Howard Bond said he has gotten two $50 tickets from the Town of Cary, saying his son ran a red light at the intersection of Cary Parkway and High House Road. However, the town’s video clearly shows Bond’s son turning left on a flashing yellow light, which is legal.
“A lot of folks have probably gotten the tickets and paid it, not wanting to go through the hassle,” Bond said.
The Town of Cary says Bond is not the only one who has complained.
“Since we have become aware of this today … we are going to internally pull as many of these videos as we can and take a look at them and see if there are any others that have been issued in error,” said police Maj. Tony Godwin.
Moments after WRAL News brought the problem to the attention of Cary police, Bond said he received an apology from the police chief, and his ticket was automatically dismissed.
Those who think they have received a ticket in error should call Godwin at 919-462-3812 or Chris Davis with the police department at 919-462-3813.
The Town of Cary issues $50 red light citations, with an additional $50 penalty if the fine is not paid within a specified period. No driver's license or insurance points are assessed, and proceeds go to the county school system, according to the town. Those who believe they received the citation by mistake have the right to appeal.
The town has cameras at the following locations:
- Cary Towne Boulevard at Convention Drive (EB)
- Kildaire Farm Road at High Meadow Drive (SB)
- High House Road at Prestonwood Drive (WB)
- Northwest Maynard Road and Chapel Hill Road (NB)
- Maynard Road at Walnut Street (SB)
- Tryon Road at Crescent Green Way (EB)
- Tryon Road at Regency Parkway (WB)
- Walnut Street and Dillard Drive (NB)
- Maynard Road and Kildaire Farm Road (WB)
- Kildaire Farm Road and Maynard Road (SB)
- Cary Parkway at Kildaire Farm Road (WB)
- Kildaire Farm Road and Cary Parkway (NB)
- Cary Parkway at High House Road (SB)
- Harrison Avenue at Maynard Road (SB)
- Harrison Avenue and Weston Parkway (SB)
- Walnut Street at Meeting Street (WB)
- Cary Parkway and High Meadow (WB)