Teen injured, 12 arrested at spring break party
Posted April 6, 2012
North Myrtle Beach, S.C. — A Cary teenager was in a medically induced coma Friday and a dozen others from the Triangle face criminal charges after a spring break party in North Myrtle Beach.
According to the police report, emergency personnel said when they arrived just before 10:30 p.m. Thursday, a boy was lying unresponsive on the ground with blood coming from his nose and mouth.
According to the police report, Charlie Lewis and a friend were partying with other Triangle-area teens at 300 52nd Ave. in North Myrtle Beach when the teens renting the house asked the two of them to leave. Jakob Ross Grabey told police the party hosts were trying to throw him and Lewis out when they were pushed off a balcony.
Grabey, 17, of Old U.S. Highway 1 in New Hill, said he landed on top of Lewis and suffered only a scraped elbow. Family members say Lewis, 17, is an Apex High School student.
A Cary father told WRAL News that his daughter was at the party, and she estimated about 70 people were in attendance, but most fled the scene before police arrived.
When police rounded up the residents of the house, they claimed Grabey and Lewis were drunk, disruptive and fell from the balcony by accident. North Myrtle Beach police have not determined whether the pair was pushed or their fall was an accident.
According to the police report, Grabey's eyes were glassy, his speech slurred, and he was unsteady on his feet. He was arrested on charges of disorderly conduct.
Police searched the house and found five cases of beer and 10 bottles of liquor.
All 11 people staying in the house were charged with possession of liquor underage.
In addition to Gradey, police arrested:
- Tyler Scott Carroll, 17, of Kingston Grove Drive in Cary,
- Fernando Castellanos, 17, of Lake Lynn Drive in Raleigh,
- William Churchill Moore, 17, of Turquoise Creek Drive in Cary,
- Miranda Nichole Browning, 17, of Rye Ridge Road in Cary,
- Alexander Gregg Conwell, 17, of Hardenbrook Court in Cary,
- Tyler Isaac Hamby, 17, of Reinhold Lane in Cary,
- Chesley Morris Edwards, 18, of Upchurch Meadow Road in Cary,
- Kevin Francis McQueerey, 18, of Highstone Road in Cary,
- Frasier Alexander Murphy, 17, of Billington Court in Cary,
- and two 16-year-olds, whose names were not released.
Carroll and Castellanos also face charges of possession of marijuana and drug paraphernalia.