FAYETTEVILLE, N.C. — Authorities are concerned that the winter weather in Fayetteville may cause a building damaged by an early Thursday morning fire to collapse.
The fire damaged a section of the Carlson Bay Apartments off Cliffdale Road. The complex is located across the street from Cliffdale Elementary School. Crews said the flames were as high as 14 feet.
Many of the residents were evacuated. No one was injured.
It took firefighters about two hours to put out the flames. Authorities believe the fire started on the bottom floor of the complex.
Officials said the building is not safe or livable. The utilities in the entire apartments have been shut off by the Fayetteville Fire Department.
The American Red Cross was called to take care of 27 occupants who needed help or needed somewhere to stay the night. Apartment management is in the process of helping displaced residents.