Local News

Medical Board Releases Findings Related To Death Of N.C. State Student

Posted April 14, 2005

— The North Carolina Medical Board released on Wednesday its report on a doctor in charge of a Raleigh clinic where a patient died.

The board's report said Dr. Ira Uretzky , who served as medical director for Premiere Body Clinic, failed to take reasonable and necessary steps to ensure that patients were appropriately evaluated, treated, and when necessary, prescribed medication. Uretzky also failed to make sure his staff was appropriately trained, qualified and supervised.

Officials say N.C. State student Shiri Berg, who went to the clinic in January for laser hair removal, died of a lidocaine overdose. She had used numbing cream to prepare for the treatment.

The report's finding also states that Uretzky was not registered with the Board of Pharmacy while dispensing drugs and that no physician, including Uretzky, performed an appropriate history and physical examination on any of the clinic's patients who received the laser gel while Uretzky was medical director.

The state medical board scheduled a hearing for June 15 to discuss the findings.

Comments

Please with your WRAL.com account to comment on this story. You also will need a Facebook account to comment.

Oldest First
View all