Local News

39 People Remain Quarantined Due To Possible SARS Exposure

Posted June 16, 2003

— While fears over severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) in Orange County continue to subside, health officials say they cannot yet rule out concerns in Wake County.

At a briefing Monday, health officials said the Orange County man with the state's only confirmed case of SARS is out of isolation. The man's family and co-workers at UNC-Chapel Hill are also considered safe. Many health care workers were screened for the illness last week in Chapel Hill.

State health officials said autopsy results of a man who worked with the Orange County SARS patient should be available later this week.

James Reed, of Wake County, died of heart failure and pneumonia Friday. He worked at the same UNC building as the Orange County SARS patient. He was admitted to Western WakeMed and was later transferred to UNC Hospitals where he died.

Initial tests on Reed were negative for SARS. State officials said that they have no reason to believe that autopsy test results from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention will show anything different.

As a result, 38 medical workers and one patient remain quarantined.

Citizens with SARS concerns may call the NC CARE LINE at

(800) 662-7030



Please with your WRAL.com account to comment on this story. You also will need a Facebook account to comment.

Oldest First
View all