Local News

No Smoke Detectors In Apartment Where Two ECU Students Died

Posted March 15, 2003

— Authorities have confirmed that there were no smoke detectors in an apartment where two East Carolina University students died last month.

Caroline Allen of Raleigh and Owen Carr of Fair Haven, Md., died of smoke inhalation in the fire Feb. 18 in Greenville.

The fire started in a sofa.

Fire investigators concluded "incorrect use of smoking materials" sparked the fire.

Examples would include a cigarette that was not completely extinguished.

Greenville's fire prevention management, Captain Allen Everette, said the responsibility for smoke alarms in rental properties depends on how a lease is written.

A memorial service will be held Monday afternoon for Allen and Carr in the Mendenhall Student Center on campus. Their families are scheduled to attend.

Comments

Please with your WRAL.com account to comment on this story. You also will need a Facebook account to comment.

Oldest First
View all