Local News

Wake Schools Cancel Trips to Washington Area

Posted October 11, 2002

— Sniper attacks across suburban Maryland and Virginia have caused Wake County schools and clubs to cancel trips to the Washington area.

Wake County school administrators Thursday banned school field trips to the nation's capital until further notice.

The decision canceled trips scheduled for this weekend involving 159 students from Green Hope High School in Cary and Fuquay-Varina High School. The students had been scheduled to visit museums and historical sites near the Washington Mall and attend a play.

"For now, we will handle this on a daily basis," said Bill McNeal, superintendent of Wake schools. "We will monitor news coverage, the actions of Washington metro school systems, and seek advice of law enforcement to see when conditions change, and when it's appropriate for field trips to the area to resume."

Fuquay-Varina High School Principal Gerald Pickett said he supported McNeal's decision. "It was the right call to make in this situation," Pickett said.

Pickett said he had spoken with parents of students who had been scheduled to go and said they all expressed relief that the trip had been canceled. He said the school has been able to reschedule the trip for April without added cost.

In Raleigh, the Capital Area Soccer League advised teams by e-mail that a weekend tournament in Washington had been canceled - at the request of the host.

Eight teams of youths ages 10 to 18 were scheduled to attend.

Comments

Please with your WRAL.com account to comment on this story. You also will need a Facebook account to comment.

Oldest First
View all