Preliminary Autopsy Suggests Heat Exposure Killed Durham Assisted Living Resident
Posted June 18, 2002
DURHAM, NC — Preliminary autopsy results show a 45-year-old man forgotten by a Durham assisted living home died from heat exposure.
Ervin Evans was found dead in a ditch last Thursday about four miles from Durham Village, where many of the residents have physical or mental disabilities.
Investigators think Evans, a resident of the center, tried to walk back there Wednesday after no one from the facility picked him up from an appointment.
The medical examiner believes Evans was overcome by the intense heat.
Durham police are now investigating whether any criminal charges should be filed.
The center is already facing a fine in connection with the incident.
Evans had been living at the home since January.