Local News

Apartment Fire Near Duke University Contained To Attic

Posted October 15, 2003

— Residents were evacuated from an apartment building near Duke University after a fire broke out Wednesday morning.

Investigators believe the fire started around 6 a.m. at Building E at the University Apartments on Duke University Road. Officials said the fire started in the crawl space between the ceiling and roof and believe the cause was electrical.

None of the apartment units caught fire; however, several third-floor apartments have water and smoke damage estimated at $50,000.

Investigators said some residents reported smelling a strong odor Tuesday. The residents, students and non-students, were placed in other units.

Comments

Please with your WRAL.com account to comment on this story. You also will need a Facebook account to comment.

Oldest First
View all