Local News

Newly remodeled Fayetteville restaurant catches fire

Posted January 24, 2012

Map Marker  Find News Near Me

— Six months after undergoing significant remodeling, Miami Subs Grill along Skibo Road in Fayetteville was heavily damaged by a fire on Tuesday morning.

A passerby reported the fire around 8:40 a.m., when the restaurant was closed. A friend called the owner to break the news.

"It looked like the whole block was on fire or something," owner Jimmy Diamantoplous said. 

The restaurant located at 552 N. McPherson Church Road reopened in June after being closed for nine months for major renovations. 

Diamantoplous said he just felt shock looking at the building burn. 

Firefighters worked quickly and confined the flames to the back of the building. Still, smoke coated the dining area in soot. There was little structural damage and the exterior of the building was untouched. 

The restaurant is well-known in the area, even serving as the location for a Monday night "Sports Blast" for a local radio station. 

"It's also a sports gathering place. There's a side room where all the players gather, so it's kind of a popular place in town," Diamantoplous said. 

Throughout the day, patrons called Diamantoplous to give him support. 

"It's unbelievable the support for this restaurant," he said. 

Fayetteville restaurant catches fire Fayetteville restaurant catches fire

A longtime family friend, who's from the same hometown in Greece, hung around the scene for hours to help. 

"He loves his business. He loves his restaurant. He loves the people, and if anyone needs his help, he's always there for them," friend Athina Sarantoulias said. 

Officials said the fire started in the back of the building near the drive-thru area. It is still unclear what sparked it. 

6 Comments

This story is closed for comments.

Oldest First
View all
  • fayncmike Jan 25, 2012

    "Doesn't mean you had to burn it, mike.
    beaupeep"

    Nope, I just stopped eating there but I'm amazed that so many have jumped to the totally unwarranted conclusion that the fire was set.

  • jeff27577 Jan 24, 2012

    mmmm insurance fraud

  • kawirider54 Jan 24, 2012

    Beaupeep Are you suggesting that this was deliberate?

  • mikeyj Jan 24, 2012

    I can tell you what spoarked it. NO pride in professionalism. Improper work ethics and the attitude of "leave it to the other guy to do".

  • beaupeep Jan 24, 2012

    Doesn't mean you had to burn it, mike.

  • fayncmike Jan 24, 2012

    It's a shame but the place was never the same after the remodel.