Local News

Vance County community helps fire-struck family recover

Posted January 8, 2012

— A Henderson family that lost its home in a fire one week before Christmas said Sunday that it couldn't be getting back on its feet without the generous outpouring of support from the Vance County community.

"People we've never seen in our life, people we will never meet (were) just giving to us," said Jessica Morgan. 

Donations poured in for the family following the fire, including clothing, money and rent to stay in a nearby mobile home. The biggest donation came from Schewels Furniture, which provided the family with all new furniture, free of charge.

Morgan, her two children and her fiance, Scott Weaver, lost all their belongings Dec. 18 when the Christmas tree in their living room caught fire. Five-year-old Gabriella woke the family up and Weaver helped Morgan escape out a front window with the children.

Henderson family recovers from fire with help from community Henderson family recovers from fire with help from community

Then Weaver turned back to save the family's two dogs. He was overcome by smoke and taken to Duke University Hospital, where he was placed in a medically induced coma for three days because of smoke damage to his throat and lungs.

He has since returned home. The dogs died in the fire.

"He flat-lined three times. It's a miracle and amazing how he is here today," Morgan said.

While Weaver continues to get better, Morgan is focusing her attention on Gabriella and her 3-year-old brother.

"(We're) really taking it day by day, trying to get through each day, making sure that they are all right," she said.

Without the generosity of others, Morgan and Weaver said they didn't know how well they would be doing. 

"Support has really helped out a lot," Morgan said.

1 Comment

This story is closed for comments.

Oldest First
View all
  • North Carolina Cutie Jan 9, 2012

    That's how it should be when someone needs help because we never know when it may be our turn.