Local News

Five injured in fire at historic Edgecombe home

Posted December 26, 2011
Updated December 27, 2011

Map Marker  Find News Near Me

Map

— Five people were injured early Monday in a house fire on N.C. Highway 33 west of Tarboro.

The home – known as the Arthur Fountain House – was a total loss.

Firefighters responded to the home, at 3848 N.C. 33, at about 3 a.m. and were on the job until 2 p.m. when the finally got the blaze under control. 

Edgecombe mansion consumed by flames Edgecombe mansion consumed by flames

Mike Shearin, chief of the Leggett Volunteer Fire Department, said the 12 people inside were very lucky. Five adults were taken to the North Carolina Jaycee Burn Center. Two children were being checked for carbon monoxide inhalation. 

All are expected to recover.

The home was listed with Preservation North Carolina as "a classic revival mansion."  It was on the market for almost $400,000. The 5,400-square-foot home was built in 1918.

"An old structure like that, it would burn pretty quick," Shearin said.

2 Comments

This story is closed for comments.

Oldest First
View all
  • momeeee Dec 27, 2011

    What a beautiful historic home - sad to see it destroyed! Hope the injured recover quickly.

  • nanasix Dec 27, 2011

    Thank God everyone is ok. Material things can be replaced.