One killed, one injured in Durham drive-by shooting
Posted December 5, 2011
Updated December 6, 2011
Durham, N.C. — One man was killed and another was seriously injured in a drive-by shooting in Durham Monday afternoon, police said.
Two men were walking on the 2800 block of Crest Street around 3 p.m. when multiple shots were fired from a passing car, police said.
Nigel Scarlett, 25, of Webb Circle, was pronounced dead at the scene and Kevin Maurice Davis, 26, of Price Avenue, was taken to Duke University Hospital.
A witness told WRAL News that a child getting off a school bus in the neighborhood found a handgun about three blocks from the shooting scene.
Police were awaiting tests results on the gun to confirm whether it was used in the shooting. Investigators have declined to comment on a possible motive and no arrests have been made.
Willie Patterson lives near the shooting scene. He said he was hurt and disappointed to learn about a homicide in his neighborhood, where he's lived for 76 years.
"People's tempers are short. Their behavior patterns have changed," Patterson said.
City Council members told Chief Jose Lopez at a meeting Monday that police must put an end to violence in Durham's neighborhoods.
"My heart was heavy after another drive-by shooting," said Councilwoman Cora Cole-McFadden. "The gun violence must stop."
Lopez said there have been 26 homicides and one fatal officer-involved shooting on the city so far this year. There was the same number of homicides at this time last year.
City leaders said the number is far too high.
"It is unacceptable the number of homicides we have in this city," said Mayor Bill Bell.
Bell tasked Lopez to find out what more can be done to keep the city safe.
"The time has come to trust the Durham Police Department," Lopez said, urging residents to help officers do their job by coming forward with information about crime.
Anyone with information on the Crest Street drive-by is asked to call investigators at 919-560-4322 or Crime Stoppers at 919-683-1200.