Two Chapel Hill Fires Being Investigated
Posted December 10, 2002
CHAPEL HILL, N.C. — Chapel Hill was the scene of two fires Monday night.
At a house fire on Basnight Lane, everyone got out safely. But part of the house was heavily damaged, especially the garage.
Firefighters think the fire started in the garage, though they haven't pinpointed the cause.
The other fire damaged a home in the 100-block of Helmsdale Drive. Crews responded quickly and were able to extinguish the flames within an hour.
Officials say the family had left candles burning in the kitchen while they were attempting to purchase a generator. When they returned, the house was engulfed in flames.
Initial damage estimates are at $50,000. No one was injured.