Local News

Early-Morning Fires Destroy Homes In Carrboro, Raleigh

Posted December 9, 2002

— Two homes in Raleigh and Carrboro were severely damaged as the result of fires over the weekend.

Authorities were called to an early morning house fire in Carboro early Sunday. Investigators say Matthew Butler's body was found in an upstairs bathroom at his home.

Butler's parents, grandmother and two other children made it out safely. The children were dropped from a second floor window into the arms of neighbors who came out to help, but it appears Butler pulled away from his mom and she could not get back to him.

Officials are looking into whether the house's fireplace may have been the cause.

The Carrboro fire took place less than 24 hours after fire destroyed a home on North Falls Drive in Raleigh Saturday morning.

The man who owned the home, Harvey Stedman, was in a hotel with his family at the time of the fire because they had lost power Friday.

The family was notified of the fire and arrived at the scene by 7:30 a.m.

When the fire department arrived, they found a dog in the garage, who was unconscious at the time. The dog was treated at the After Hours Emergency Clinic of Wake County.

Comments

Please with your WRAL.com account to comment on this story. You also will need a Facebook account to comment.

Oldest First
View all