Local News

Man, Cat Die In Durham House Fire

Posted December 2, 2002

— Durham police blame a discarded cigarette for a fire that killed a man and his cat on Sunday.

Authorities said the blaze started around 5 a.m. on the second floor of a two-story home on Preston Avenue. Authorities say 27-year-old Jason Lopata, who rented the home, apparently was trapped in the home and could not escape.

No one else was hurt.


Please with your WRAL.com account to comment on this story. You also will need a Facebook account to comment.

Oldest First
View all