Local News

Fire kills Granville County grandmother

Posted October 25, 2011

Map Marker  Find News Near Me

Map

— Fire consumed a Granville County house early Tuesday morning and claimed the life of a 90-year-old grandmother.

Faye Hobgood, 66, was smoking in bed and woke up just before 4 a.m. to the blare of smoke alarms, according to Chief Deputy Sherwood Boyd of the Granville County Sheriff's Office.

She tried to put out the fire and called firefighters, Boyd said, but she was unable to save her mother. 

Mozelle Hobgood was overcome by smoke and died. Faye Hobgood suffered burns to her hands and smoke inhalation and was treated at Granville Medical Center.

Granville County grandmother killed in fire Granville County grandmother killed in fire

"My grandma was filled with love," said Ben Wade Ellington. "She was a Christian lady. It’s just remarkable how she (did) things for people."

The women's home at 2111 Elam Currin Road was heavily damaged, Boyd said.

"There are a lot of memories in that house. We (aren't) going to lose them. That fire (isn't) going to kill any memories at all," said Jared Hobgood, another of Mozelle Hobgood's grandchildren.

16 Comments

This story is closed for comments.

Oldest First
View all
  • Agape78 Oct 26, 2011

    Matthew 7: “Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.

    **We ALL must be mindful of the things we say about others. I cannot imagine what the daughter is feeling right now. Please know you are already forgiven and time will heal all wounds. One day @ a time. Blessings to you and your family**

  • da Brute Oct 25, 2011

    I don't think stating "I am sorry... smoking in bed is not an accident!" by Proud Young Grandma is judgemental. It is merely a statement, and a true, powerful one. Smoking is BAD for your health (see the cigarette cartons and the Surgeon Generals' warning). Worse, smoking in bed is WORSE...beds were made to be slept in!

  • rayne0524 Oct 25, 2011

    My heart & prayers go out to this family. What a tragic story all around.

    For those of you judging the daughter for smoking in bed, you need to stop. This poor woman has enough to deal with & think about without you people being so hateful. It was an accident, nobody is perfect.

  • forevercountry9611 Oct 25, 2011

    My heart goes out to the family and daughter(hope the recovery is quick). I live in Oxford and have seen the house, no words can describe how sad this event is. Our prayers go out to you! God Bless.

  • Proud Young Grandma Oct 25, 2011

    I am sorry... smoking in bed is not an accident!

  • dwallace9392 Oct 25, 2011

    My heart goes out to the daughter.May GOD BLESS YOU AND KEEP YOU!!!!! I can only feel your pain,and your mother knows that it was an accident.She still loves you and do not blame for this.Please forgive yourself and move on with your life.It is what your mother would want you to do.I pray that your friend and family will be there for you, because if ever their was a time that you need them is now!!!!!! GOD BLESS!!!!!!!

  • QT3.14 Oct 25, 2011

    Prayers for the daughter - I can only imagine how heartbroken she must be. :(

  • sna829 Oct 25, 2011

    Really?....the daughter I'm sure is mourning the loss of her mother and some people can only concentrate on her smoking in bed. Get a life folks....accidents happen. Prayers for the family.

  • Desiderata Oct 25, 2011

    Prayers for the deceased..Another reason for NEVER TO SMOKE! Now this women must deal with the loss of her mother.. and the reason behind her loss! ( thanks WrAL censors for not posting my first comment...)

  • NCwhisperer... Oct 25, 2011

    Sorry about the whole situation...she not only has to mourn for her Mother, and loosing her house...but the fact that she started the fire....bless her heart.....

More...