Local News

State, County Officials Shut Down Another Durham Rest Home

Posted August 30, 2002

— The state has shut down another rest home in Durham.

State and county officials have shut down Hanson Hills after finding a number of health violations. Larry Roper said he will have to find another home for his brother, who is one of the home's 39 displaced residents.

"Right now, we have to find him another place for him to go. This was closer to home, so it will probably be further out now," he said.

Inspectors said they found several health violations at the facility owned by Faiger Blackwell for the past three months. Officials said the facility was dirty, the staffers were ill-trained and medications such as insulin were dangerously and improperly prescribed.

Blackwell claims he was blindsided by the situation and said management did not alert him to all of the problems.

"I don't think you would say that this is something that I feel great about. No, I don't. As far as me being upset and humiliated, (I feel) all of those things," he said.

Thirty-six residents of the homes have been moved to other facilities in Durham County. Three of the residents will be moved outside of the county.

Blackwell also owns two other facilities that have been the center of controversy in recent weeks. Officials shut down Durham Manor last week, but Blackwell moved residents out of that home prior to its closing. Durham Village is also under investigation after the death of one of its residents in June.

Comments

Please with your WRAL.com account to comment on this story. You also will need a Facebook account to comment.

Oldest First
View all