Local News

Two Girls Charged With Filing False Kidnapping Reports

Posted August 15, 2002

— Two Raleigh teens were charged with filing a false report after alleging that someone tried to kidnap them on their way to school.

There were some tense moments at Enloe High Thursday morning after a 16-year-old student reported that someone tried to abduct her on her way to school.

"We began our crisis management, making sure our students were safe. It's all about making sure students are safe," school security director Corey Duber said.

About a mile away from Enloe, a separate report came into police that another 16-year-old girl had been abducted on Glascock Street. Hours later, both reports proved false.

"It would appear they got in the car with the individual and because of what they were doing, they were going to be late for school. They needed an excuse for being late for school," said Capt. D.S. Overman of the Raleigh Police Department.

"My gut told me that something was wrong. Something didn't add up," Duber said.

The ruse was discovered around noon, but the damage was already done. The school and the police department had already wasted precious resources and time.

"We had 24 people on the two cases. It takes us away from legitimate victims when we have to investigate things that didn't happen," Overman said.

"All of our efforts were for nothing. It's frustrating," Duber said.

Besides wasting manpower and taxpayer dollars, Thursday's incidents also alarmed students and parents. Even though there is no truth to the cases, school officials say they are taking a lot of calls from concerned parents.

Comments

Please with your WRAL.com account to comment on this story. You also will need a Facebook account to comment.

Oldest First
View all