Two Tractor-Trailer Accidents Shut Down Portion Of I-95
Posted July 23, 2002
RALEIGH, N.C. — State Department of Transportation officials have shut down a portion of Interstate 95 after crews responded to a second accident along the interstate on Tuesday.
Officials say southbound lanes of I-95 from exit 55 through 68 will be shut down until 10 p.m.
Reports say a tractor-trailer crashed in the southbound lanes of I-95 at mile marker 63 Tuesday afternoon.
The Highway Patrol said the driver of a hauling truck tried to slow down because of a traffic jam following an
. Officials said that was when another tractor-trailer bumped him from behind, causing a fire.
After the impact, thousands of plastic bottles on the tractor-trailer were scattered across the interstate. Crews were able to get the fire under control in about 30 minutes.
Officials said both drivers in the incident are OK. Motorists are asked to look for alternate routes near that area.
Earlier in the day, authorities responded to a tractor-trailer that overturned near exit 58 in Wade, blocking both southbound lanes of I-95.