Developer Back From Drawing Board With New Plan For Raleigh
Posted May 28, 2002
RALEIGH, N.C. — The landowner who tried unsuccessfully to develop land near Cameron Village last year is trying again.
The city's planning commission voted 9-1 to grant Neal Coker a waiver Tuesday to submit a new plan for the 15 acres bordered by Oberlin Road and Wade Avenue. Without a waiver, Coker would have to wait two years from the originial filing date to make the proposal.
Commissioners granted the waiver because the new plan is significantly smaller.
"I hope that the project itself is more palatable, but I realize, and I think that most of the commission realizes that there's going to be a faction of people that don't like this case regardless of what it is," planning commissioner Charles Walker said.
Coker and other developers have been meeting with neighbors about the new smaller plan, hoping to reach a compromise.
"We're hopeful that flexibility on both sides will resolve these issues and we'll have a good project which enhances the surrounding neighborhoods and the city," resident Warren Raybould said.
If the City Council signs off on the waiver next week, developers have until June 21 to submit plans. Public hearings would be held in September.