Three Men Charged In Marijuana Theft Case Appear In Court
Posted March 25, 2002
GREENSBORO, N.C. — The three people charged so far in the Chatham County missing marijuana case were back in federal court Monday for the second time in a week.
Following the biggest pot bust in the county's history, all 5,000 pounds of marijuana were stolen. Half of the drugs were taken from a truck parked right outside the Sheriff's Office and the rest was taken after it was buried, instead of burned, in the county landfill.
Those indicted so far include Jodie Brafford, a backhoe operator who investigators said dug the hole at the landfill, James Harris and Gary Causey. All three men pleaded not guilty to the charges on Monday.
Michael Price, Causey's attorney, briefly discussed his client's case with WRAL.
"He is Joe Citizen. He operates a small construction company, involved with two beautiful children, a lovely wife and no criminal record. Something like this is very out of character and very, very new for him," he said.
The three men who have been charged have little or no criminal histories. Brafford has three driving while impaired convictions. Harris had two arrests, but no convictions on drug charges. State records indicate Causey has no criminal record.
Authorities believe the three men are not the only ones involved in the case because the indictments said that they were only responsible for several hundred pounds of marijuana, and thousands of pounds were stolen.
The trial for the three men is scheduled for May 6 in Greensboro.