Local News

Cary Townhouse Fire Caused By Unattended Candle

Posted March 5, 2002

— A fire at the Pirates Cove Townhomes in Cary was apparently started by an unattended candle.

Officials say some kids at the townhouse, located on Collington Drive just off Southeast Maynard Road, were in the attic and left a lit candle there, unattended.

The fire was contained to the attic and part of the floor below.

There was about $60,000 in structural damage.

The home had smoke detectors, but the fire was discovered when the mother smelled smoke.

Everyone was evacuated safely.


Please with your WRAL.com account to comment on this story. You also will need a Facebook account to comment.

Oldest First
View all