UNC SYSTEM MEN'S BASKETBALL CONTRACTS
Editor's Note: Below is a summary of each contract. To see the full contract, click on the coach's name. These are the most recent documents, as provided by the UNC system in August 2009.
A&T Men’s Head Basketball Coach Jerry Eaves
Contract: May 12, 2007 – May 31, 2010
Annual salary: $117,000
- $10,000 salary bonus for MEAC Tournament Championship and a bid to the first round of the NCAA Basketball Tournament Championship.
- $12,000 for each round thereafter of the NCAA Basketball Tournament Championship
- $5,000 for the first round of the NIT Basketball Tournament Championship
- $2,500 for each round thereafter of the NIT Basketball Tournament Championship
- Coach may be entitled to an automobile, contingent solely upon the Victory Club making an automobile available for the coach’s use.
- entitled to advise and comment on all proposed scheduling of men’s basketball games
- authority to recommend the appointment of assistant basketball coach(es) in accordance with budgetary allowances
- shall have the first option to decide to offer summer basketball camps associated with the university’s athletic program.
ECSU Men’s Head Basketball Coach Shawn Walker
Contract: Aug. 1, 2009 – May 31, 2013
Annual Salary: $82, 535
• Faculty salary: $68,013
• Coaching stipend: $14,522
- $1,000 if the basketball team’s graduation rate increases by 7 percentage points above the preceding year.
- $1,000 if the basketball team wins the Divisional Championship
- $2,000 if the basketball team wins the CIAA Conference Championship
- $3,000 if the basketball team wins the Regional Championship
- $5,000 if the basketball team wins the National Championship
- Head coach shall have the responsibility and authority to make recommendations for the hiring or dismissal of all assistant coaching personnel.
ECU Men’s Head Basketball Coach William McCarthy
Contract: June 1, 2008 – March 31, 2013
• June-Nov. 2008: $200,000
• Dec. 2008-March 2013: $150,000
- $100,000 if the basketball team participates in the NCAA championship
- $100,000 if the basketball teams ends a regular season with a .500 or better record
- $50,000 if the basketball team ends a regular season by out-rebounding its opponent in 10 or more of 16 conference games
- $50,000 if the athletic director determines that the basketball team has made positive academic progress.
- $75,000 for television, radio, Internet programs and speaking engagements.
- University will provide a vehicle on loan for the coach to use while performing his duties. The university will provide liability and comprehensive insurance.
- University will give the coach a family membership to a local country club and a local athletic club.
- The coach can conduct up to two weeks of basketball camps. After all university costs related to the camp are paid, all remaining revenue will be paid directly to the coach and the coach’s staff.
- University will reimburse coach for all travel expenses reasonably incurred by him for the purpose of his duties.
FSU Men’s Head Basketball Coach Alphonza Kee
Contract: May 15, 2009 – May 14, 2012
Annual Salary: $80,000
- Coach can get a bonus if he achieves at least three of the following incentives during a basketball season. At least one of the three must be an academic incentive. The amount of the bonus shall be determined by the athletic director:
- Academic incentives:
- Graduation rate equivalent to that of the total university’s graduation rate
- Not less than 75 percent of the student-athletes will be on track to graduate within five years
- Highest average cumulative GPA within the CIAA conference
- Athletic incentives
- Win at least 75 percent of the regular season games
- Win the CIAA Western Division
- Win the CIAA
- Win the NCAA Division II South Atlantic Regional Championship
- Win the Division II Championship
- Academic incentives:
- Makes recommendations to the athletic director regarding the employment and salary of all assistant coaches
- shall conduct travel within the allotted budget (amount not given)
NCCU Men’s Head Basketball Coach LeVelle Moton
Contract: April 15, 2009 – April 1, 2014
Annual Salary: $100,000 (coach shall be eligible for annual merit increases)
- $5,000 for head coach (and $2,000 for assistant coaches) for each win in the NCAA tournament
- $3,000 if the team meets or exceeds a yearly GPA of 3.0
- $1,000 if the team wins 20 games in a regular season
NCSU Men’s Head Basketball Coach Mark Gottfried
Contract: April 5, 2011 – April 4, 2016
Annual Salary: $750,000
Supplemental Compensation: $450,000 a year
Former NCSU Men’s Head Basketball Coach Sidney Lowe
Contract: Began on June 19, 2006
Annual Salary: $210,000 (Athletic director and chancellor will make recommendations on salary adjustments and any additional compensation regarding performance bonuses during the annual salary review.)
- The parties acknowledge that, by accepting employment with NCSU, coach forfeited his rights to additional compensation from the Detroit Pistons. In order for NCSU to provide coach with a compensation package comparable to the Detroit Pistons’, NCSU agrees to make supplemental compensation payments to coach in the amount of $290,000 to be paid as follows: 1/3 of the amount on Nov. 15 and 2/3 of the amount on April 15 each year so long as coach remains employed at NCSU
- Two months extra salary if the basketball team is the ACC regular season champion, ACC regular season champion or receives and invitation to the NCAA Division I Men’s Basketball post-season tournament.
- Three months extra salary if the basketball team appears among the Sweet Sixteen
- Four months extra salary if the basketball team appears among the Final Four.
- $50,000 if the basketball team’s graduation rate per NCAA six-year reporting rate is equal to or greater than 55 percent.
- Coach can advise the athletic director on selection and hiring of the following positions:
- Sports Information Director
- Director of Sports Medicine/Basketball trainer
- Strength Coach for the basketball team
- All support staff in the basketball office
- Equipment manager
- Athletic director
- Coach shall have input into design and development of any and all NCSU basketball facilities
- Shall schedule games for the basketball program
UNC-CH Men’s Head Basketball Coach Roy Williams
Contract: April 16, 2003 – April 15, 2015
Annual Salary: $325,000 (based on 2007 contract)
- The parties acknowledge that, by accepting employment with UNC-CH, coach forfeited his rights to deferred compensation provided by the University of Kansas. In order for UNC-CH to provide coach with a compensation package comparable to the University of Kansas, UNC-CH agrees to make supplemental compensation payments to coach in the following amounts:
- 2004: $356,716
- 2005: $481,105
- 2006: $780,274
- 2007: $878,920
- 2008: $1,370,063
- 2009: $1,200,000
- 2010: $1,250,000
- 2011: $1,300,000
- 2012: $1,350,000
- 2013: $1,400,000
- 2014: $1,450,000
- 2015: $1,500,000
- 1/12 his salary if the basketball team is invited to the NCAA post-season basketball tournament
- 1/12 his salary if the basketball team appears among the Final Eight in the NCAA post-season tournament
- 1/12 his salary is the basketball team appears among the Final Four
- 1/12 his salary if basketball team’s graduation rate equals that of the undergraduate student body
- $30,000 annual expense allowance per year for entertainment and other purposes to advance the university’s basketball program
- Coach shall be entitled to operate a summer football camp, for which he could receive outside compensation
- Coach shall be entitled to advise and comment on all proposed scheduling of university basketball games
UNC-A Men’s Head Basketball Coach Eddie Biedenbach
Contract: July 1, 2008 – March 31, 2011
- 2008-09: $93,000
- 2009-10: $97,000
- 2010-11: $100,000
- Coach will get 50 percent of all endorsement revenue.
UNC-C Men’s Head Basketball Coach Bobby Lutz
Contract: Jan. 4, 2009 – March 31, 2014
Annual Salary: $237,000
- Coach shall receive $145,000 in supplemental pay each year, which will be paid from non-state funds
- $125,000 lump sum longevity incentive payment if coach is employed as head coach on April 30, 2013.
- $50,000 annually for radio, television appearances
- $15,000 if the team wins the Atlantic 10 Conference Tournament
- $10,000 if the team wins or shares the regular season Atlantic 10 conference championship (or the championship of any other athletic conference which the university is a member of)
- $10,000 for revenue from TV appearances for the Atlantic 10 Conference
- $15,000 if the combined average GPA for the recruited scholarship student-athletes exceeds 2.7 for that academic year.
- $10,000 if the combined average GPA for the recruited scholarship student-athletes exceeds 2.5 for that academic year.
- $10,000 for each academic year in which the men’s basketball team achieves and Academic Progress Rate score of 1,000.
- $8,000 per year plus 20 percent of the difference between the total gross revenue from season tickets in any given season compared to the total gross revenue received for the 2006-07 season, which is agreed to be $406,831
- $5,000 for each recruited scholarship student-athlete who graduates from university within two calendar years of the last semester in which the student was eligible to compete.
- $5,000 for the sole purposes of operating and promoting coach’s basketball camps.
- $1,000 per speaking engagement. No more than 10 per year.
- For each student ticket actually utilized for attendance during any one regular season of men’s basketball that is in excess of the number of student tickets utilized during the 2006-07 season, which is agreed to be 11,623 tickets, university will pay coach $3
- For individual game tickets sold during any one regular season, the university will pay coach 20 percent of the difference in total gross revenue received from such sales compared to the total gross revenue from such sales in the 2006-07 season, which amounted to $68,591.
- During each men’s basketball season, for up to two home games played against teams from any conference whose champion is given automatic bid to a Bowl Championship Series football bowl game, university will pay coach $3 per individual game ticket sold for that game.
- For any non-conference games played as home games by university where the opponent is a team with a three-year rolling RPI of 30 or better, university will pay coach a lump sum of $10,000. If the opponent has a three-year rolling RPI of between 31 and 5-0, then the payment will be $5,000. Payments are capped at $20,000.
- Coach may schedule up to one away contest per year with a non-conference opponent for which a game guarantee is paid by the host institution. After payment of all expenses associated with the contest, university will pay coach 50 percent of the game guarantee actually paid to the university.
- University will pay basic monthly, annual or other basic dues required to maintain a membership in coach’s name at (a) the Old North State Club at Uwharrie Point in New London, N.C. (b) Cabarrus Country Club in Concord, N.C.
- 5 percent annual salary if the basketball team competes in the NCAA Division I Men’s basketball championship
- 5 percent annual salary if basketball team reaches the second round of the tournament
- 5 percent annual salary if team reaches the Sweet 16
- 5 percent annual salary if the team reaches the Elite 8
- 5 percent annual salary if the team reaches the Final 4
- 5 percent annual salary if the team competes in the NCAA Championship
- 5 percent annual salary if team wins NCAA Championship
- 5 percent annual salary if coach is names Atlantic 10 Coach of the Year
- Coach may waive the payment of all or a portion of any of the bonuses and request that the money be paid to one or more members of his coaching or athletic support staff.
- University will provide coach with the use of one late-model automobile, including liability insurance and reasonable costs of operation and maintenance.
- University will provide 10 season tickets for the men’s basketball regular season in the lower seating section of Halton Arena at no coast or expense to coach. An additional five season tickets will be made available at no cost to coach in the upper seating section of Halton Arena.
- University will reimburse coach the cost of professional tax return preparation for both N.C. and federal individual tax returns.
UNC-G Men’s Head Basketball Coach David Dement
Contract: July 1, 2008 – June 30, 2013
Annual Salary: $122,300
UNC-P Men’s Head Basketball Coach Ben Miller
Contract: Aug. 13, 2008 – May 13, 2009
Annual Salary: $70,000
UNC-W Men’s Head Basketball Coach Benjamin Moss
Contract: May 1, 2006 – May 31, 2013
Annual Salary: $170,000
- $10,000 for each NCAA post-season tournament game played and for reaching the Final Four of the National Invitational Tournament
- Coach shall be provided with 16 premium tickets to all UNC-W home games and post-season tournament games with the right to purchase an additional 16 premium tickets at face value.
- The Student Aid Association Inc., aka Seahawk Club, may provide supplemental benefits to coach
WCU Men’s Head Basketball Coach Larry Hunter
Contract: April 29, 2005 – April 28, 2010
Annual Salary: $135,000
- University will provide a vehicle on a loan basis for use by coach
- Coach will provide all maintenance and operating costs for the vehicle, including gas, oil, tires and all unwarranted repairs and all charges for excess mileage
- Coach must not exceed the mileage restrictions imposed by the dealer
- If the dealer extends the mileage restrictions for a fee, that fee shall be paid by coach
- When the coach uses the vehicle for official business, the university will reimburse him at the rate of five and one-half cents per mile instead of the normal state rate for use of a personal vehicle.
- The university agrees to provide liability and comprehensive automobile insurance.
- Insurance in excess of the policy’s limits is the responsibility of the coach.
- The coach must kept records of any personal use of the vehicle and must pay all taxes arising from such personal use.
- Coach shall be entitled to use the university’s group membership at the Waynesville Country Club for entertaining.
- Coach shall be entitled to reimbursement for house hunting trips. The state budget manual allows for a maximum of three round trips by automobile, each trip not to exceed two days/one night.
- Coach shall be entitled to actual moving expenses.
WSSU Men’s Head Basketball Coach Bobby Collins
Contract: Sept. 1, 2006 – March 31, 2010
Annual Salary: $88,000
- 1/12 annual salary if team goes to the NCAA post-season playoffs
- 1/12 annual salary if team makes an appearance among the final post-season playoffs
- 1/12 annual salary if team’s graduation rate exceeds that of the student body.