Dog recovering after swallowing fork

Posted August 13, 2008

A Raleigh dog is recovering from surgery after he swallowed a fork.

Apachee, 10, endured surgery and multiple blood transfusions after his veterinarian identified the source of his distress. X-rays showed the fork lodged in the dog's chest cavity.

Doctors at Veterinary Specialty Hospital of the Carolinas in Cary said the fork had pierced a vein in his chest, releasing blood around his lungs. Dr. Gary Spodnick led the surgical team that patched the vein and removed the fork.

Apachee's owners think he must have snagged the fork from the kitchen sink sometime in early August. He developed a cough, declined food and later collapsed.

He is expected to make a full recovery, however.


This story is closed for comments.

Oldest First
View all
  • freelancing Aug 18, 2008

    Just because the media does not focus on one specific group, does not mean it has gone unnoticed. It is a team effort from all perspectives, the parents of Apache included. One person could not have saved Apache's life. It takes a good group of people to accomplish the success in this story. Not only that, the parents of Apache deserve a recognition for seeking the right treatment for him. That is a commitment in itself. Let's focus on the positives of this story.

  • GoGoPuppy Aug 18, 2008

    I do find it very unfortunate that all the hard working nurses/vet techs are not even mentioned! The doctors didhe surgery...but who do you think did all the post surgery care, the intital critical care, gave the drugs, blood transfusions, etc? I sure hope the vet hospital appreciates their staff, and that they actually take the time to acknowedge that while the surgeons had their hands in the dog for a few hours, it was the nursing staff that was essential to that dogs survival over the next few weeks.

  • Tired of your excuses Aug 14, 2008

    I'm glad the doggie is doing better! For those of you who are questioning why this is news - apparently, you did because you took the time to read past the first paragraph and took even more to time to comment on it.

  • Scubagirl Aug 14, 2008

    "Stick with the nylabones buddy!" but one should be careful w/ those. My golden loved them and once when she stopped eating and some other stuff took her in and after surgery found 2 pieces of nylabone stuck in stomach causing a blockage. Did some research at the time and there were lots of cases where nylabones caused such problems.
    Glad Apache is Ok and it is good news and nice to read for a change

  • lilreno is in the wind Aug 14, 2008

    The fork looked like it was severly tarnished by the dogs stomach acid. The poor

    I'm glad to know that the dog is ok!

  • 68_polara Aug 14, 2008

    Stupid dog, I hope he's fixed.

  • Thestryper Aug 13, 2008

    I'm glad Apache is OK! For those who want to know why this is news, it is because it just happens to be GOOD NEWS!!! Like one of the previous posters, it sure beats murder, gangs, politics, etc. Besides, if you had a pet, you would know that it becomes another member of the family. :)

  • cabswife Aug 13, 2008

    What a nice change, a story with a happy ending!

  • Damn_Yankee Aug 13, 2008

    What a gorgeous Siberian! We had one for 14 years in the cold of upstate NY. Love them doggies and we are thrilled that 'Ol Forky will fully recover.

  • clover1019 Aug 13, 2008

    you ask...why is this in the news. Dont you get tired about murders, crime, politics, immigrants and gangs? Its so nice to hear a positive story about how much someone loves their furry family member. Stick with the nylabones buddy! So greatful that your that your family takes such great care of you. Good luck on your recovery!!