Arts Commission awards annual medals
Posted July 25, 2008
Updated August 30, 2008
Raleigh, N.C. — The Raleigh Arts Commission named six winners of the annual medal of arts Friday.
The Raleigh Medal of Arts honors individuals and organizations for long-term achievement in and support of local arts. The program is in its 24th year.
Medals will be presented to the winners Tuesday, Oct. 7 at 7 p.m. in Fletcher Opera Theater at the Progress Energy Center for the Performing Arts.
The 2008 honorees are:
- Dr. Lucy Daniels, a writer and clinical psychologist. Daniels' writings chronicle her 30-year struggle with writer's block.
- Dr. Charles “Chuck” Davis, founder and artistic director of the African American Dance Ensemble
- Jeffery H. Richardson, band director at Broughton High School
- Lenard D. Moore, assistant professor of English at Mount Olive College. Moore has written f more than 20 forms of poetry, drama, essays and literary criticism.
- Susan Newberry, the first full-time director of PineCone, North Carolina's largest, most active traditional music organization
- Capital Bank, sponsor of Artsplosure, Artspace, Carolina Ballet, Opera Company of North Carolina and Raleigh Little Theatre.