Wake student assignment results to be posted Friday
Posted March 15, 2012
Updated March 16, 2012
Cary, N.C. — The parents of more than more than 19,000 Wake County public school students can go online Friday to find out where their children will go to school in the fall.
Wake County Public School System Superintendent Tony Tata said Friday morning that that results of the first round of the district's student assignment plan's choice selection process will be posted at 5 p.m. on the school system's website.
The school system is advising parents to expect heavy website traffic early Friday evening.
School system staff will also be available by phone (919-431-7333) from 5 to 8 p.m. to help parents having difficulty logging into the system.
Parents will also be notified of their children's assignments by mail.
Nearly 75 percent of parents who took part in the first phase received their first choice, school administrators said last week.
Tata told reporters in his weekly news briefing that more parents could receive their first choice after the district places 723 students who are currently on waiting lists for magnet schools.
"The first-round selection rates will only go up, from what we announced," Tata said. "It's a small number, but every family is important, and we are focused on absolute accuracy and transparency."
A second choice selection round is scheduled from March 19 through April 9 for any parents unhappy with the assignment they received as well as parents who didn't participate in the first round. Assignments based on those choices will be made by mid-April.
Under the new assignment model, parents rank a list of schools based on their home address. Once a student is assigned to a school, he or she is guaranteed a seat in that school's feeder pattern as long as he or she is enrolled in the school system.
Parents of students who are new or returning to the school system, rising kindergartners and parents who want their children to switch schools must go through the selection process.