Wake County Schools

Tata: Despite concerns, assignment plan is on track

Posted January 6, 2012

Map Marker  Find News Near Me

— Wake County Public School System Superintendent Tony Tata said Friday that, as far as he's concerned, the district's new choice-model student assignment plan is on track, despite some school board members wanting to put it on hold temporarily.

Earlier this week, members expressed concerns parents have about new feeder patterns, issues with the cost of the plan and the number of seats available in magnet schools.

Tata told reporters Friday that his staff is working through the weekend to research those concerns and that they will present their findings when the board meets Tuesday.

Board members disagreed about delaying the selection process. Some wanted to wait so that parents could get a better understanding of how the plan will work. Others said doing so could be disastrous.

The school system has held numerous information sessions and outreach events – even setting up a booth at the North Carolina State Fair – to answer parents' questions.

Under Tata's implementation plan, parents are set to begin Jan. 17 choosing and ranking which schools they want their children to attend for the 2012-13 school year.

Their choices are based on their address and include at least five elementary, two middle and two high schools. Those schools are a combination of traditional-calendar, year-round calendar, magnet and other specialty options.

The school system will begin notifying parents in mid-March of their assignments.

If the school board decides Tuesday to make changes or delay the plan, it's unclear how Tata's timeline could be affected.

Tata said he's not expecting a delay.

"I think the student assignment plan is broadly supported by our community," he said. "So, we are proceeding with the long-standing timeline to give parents the greatest amount of time to consider their options."

38 Comments

This story is closed for comments.

Oldest First
View all
  • rogerwx Jan 10, 2012

    For those who call the plan racist.....not to worry. Test scores will fall in proportion to the number of minority students enrolled. A couple years of that and the school leaders will cave and go back to busing in order to even out the scores. What do I know, I have only taught 30 years. Ultimately, it is ALL about the numbers. By the way, teachers overwhelmingly favor eliminating the Dept of Educ.

  • beaupeep Jan 6, 2012

    "kids will still be bused, and still could be 45 minutes. "

    Yeah, but only if you freely CHOOSE it.

  • Ripcord Jan 6, 2012

    "Test scores for students educated in NC public schools have gone down for at least the past 30 years."

    Oddly, in what must be a pure coincidence, the US Department of Education began operations on May 16, 1980... A little over 30 years ago.

  • TiminNCisBack Jan 6, 2012

    Remind us again HAG how many kids you have of school age.... ... ... I thought so. You praise every other tax or simply write it off. Its for the kids :)

  • triangleone Jan 6, 2012

    I agree test courses have gone down. Especially for the students that have a class but no teacher. LOL Kids teaching the class and subs.Seriously it's not funny but it's happening and people we are the future leaders of America.

  • Screw WrAl Jan 6, 2012

    This school board needs to step up and do what they said they would do when they were pandering for votes, take us back to diversity based bussing. It's the only way.

  • corey3rd Jan 6, 2012

    "Test scores for students educated in NC public schools have gone down for at least the past 30 years." Frizz - we're talking wake county scores - not the entire state.

    Maybe we're just being made stupid thanks to drinking too much Mountain Dew - a product which will completely breakdown the body of a mouse in the time it takes to bottle and open the can. That stuff can't be good for your body.

  • common_sense_plz Jan 6, 2012

    There is no way that the school board is going to make everyone happy no matter what assignment they go with. It is obvious that bussing for diversity has not worked, as our children still rank low. I dont think that what elementary school you choose should affect which high and middle you attend.

    We did the test drive to see where my daughter would go and I am not happy with those choices...E.Wake, WFR, Millbrook. Heritage is closer than WFR and MIllbrook, E.Wake isint even an option cause I am not having my daughter being groped in the hallways and staff being so scared of the students to do anything. She will remain in her charter school. Hopefully in the future there will be more charters for parents to choose.

  • LBJ192 Jan 6, 2012

    "The cost cannot be higher than bussing for diversity across the county. Way to go Tata!"
    NotTheSame

    While I agree the diversity plan needed changing, don't fool yourself into thinking we are saving any money. Tata already said the busing costs will increase. But for some reason, no one can say how much. Seems to be a major factor with a new plan, and this factor is somehow missing from this plan.

  • Ripcord Jan 6, 2012

    "under the choice plan and schools, busing costs go up quite a bit."

    Can you prove that? Where is that assertion supported? And since when have Liberals been concerned about school costs?

More...